The construction of Ammonia plant, Nitric Acid plant and CAN plant started at the end of 1959. The plants of ‘Hemijska Industrija “Pancevo” – HIP’ were put into operation on November 27th 1962.
In the second phase, which was completed by the end of 1969, in addition to the increase in the production capacities of Ammonia plant, Nitric Acid plant and CAN plant, new production plants were constructed – Urea plant and NPK (complex fertilizers) plant.
The third phase of construction and development of ‘Hemijska industrija “Pančevo”’ started at the end of 1969 and covered basic chemistry.
In the period between 1979 and 1985 the production of mineral fertilizers and nitric compounds was modernized, and the new plant for ammonia production was constructed with a capacity 938 t/d, using the basic engineering design of “Kellogg” Company.
During the 1999 NATO bombing of Yugoslavia, on April 15th and April 18th, the Ammonia III plant was damaged, and the plant for the production of complex fertilizers NPK was completely destroyed. At the beginning of the year 2000 the Ammonia III plant was repaired and, after 11 months of being out of operation, HIP – Azotara started again with the production.